Thank you to everyone who submitted a story to our 50+ writing contest. We were overwhelmed by the number of articles we received from all over the world. We read stories on starting a band, learning from your cat, running a marathon, getting a PhD, falling in love and everything in between. We had a very hard time narrowing down the finalists and finally decided to have 11 finalists in 2 separate rounds in order to share more of the stories of life after 50.
The first round starts on Wedneday, May 11th with 2 weeks of voting. The 2nd round of voting will start in June and feature stories of career changes after 50.
We are proud to announce the following 6 finalists in the first voting round. Please follow the links below to read the finalists’ stories.
Writing Contest Finalists
It’s Never too Late to…
- Get Your Health Back by Cynthia Tremenheere
- Discover a New Career and Hobby by Lura Devlin
- Transform Your Life and Run Your First Marathon by Mary McManus
- Create an Organization and Magazine by Daphne Solecki
- Learn to Love Public Speaking by Madeleine Kolb
- Travel the World by Irene Butler
The person who receives the highest number of votes in each round will receive the $500 grand prize and the runner-ups will receive $100 gift cards to Amazon. You can vote in a number of ways:
Ways to Vote
- Click the Facebook ‘Like’ button at the bottom of the story you’d like to vote for.
- Go to our Facebook page and click ‘Like’ underneath the picture associated with the entry.
(You must join the page in order to vote in this way. For every new person on the page we are donating $1 to the CNIB to fund the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases affecting older adults)
- Choose your favorite entry in our voting poll
The winner will be determined from the total number of votes each entry receives in all 3 methods of voting.
You may vote for several of your favorite entries using the first 2 methods but may only cast one vote in the voting poll. Votes must be received by 11:59pm PST on Wednesday, May 25th, 2011. The contest winner will be announced on June 1st.
It’s Never Too Late to Change Careers Finalists
Congratulations to the following writers whose stories will be published in June. The 2nd voting period will run from June 3rd to June 17th
- I Think You’re Looking For Me By Cathryn Wellner
- Inspired: A Second Chance to Dance By E.C. Premo
- The Never Ending Adventure By Peter Morris
- The Recession Awakens an Artistic Entrepreneur By Christine Henry
- 50-year-old Vows to Make the Most Out of His 1200 Months By Margaret Hennessey