Although it’s time to say farewell to summer’s produce — those juicy peaches, perfect berries, tasty zucchini, flavorful basil and other seasonal offerings — you won’t be left with a bare fruit bowl or empty crisper. Instead, you can fill them with delicious and ultra-nutritious fall produce.
Bob Greene, founder of The Best Life says that autumn provides a bounty of delicious fruit and vegetables, such as apples, pears, grapes and oranges, rapini, shelling beans and celery root. “The fall harvest offers you the chance to add healthy new foods to your diet,” says Greene, who counts Oprah Winfrey as one of his clients. Here are some suggestions of what to look for at the market this fall:
Top Fresh Market Finds to Add to Your Grocery List This Fall:
- Apples: They’re high in fiber, plus they contain quercetin, which has cancer-fighting properties.
- Pears: A medium pear contains an impressive six grams of fiber. Be sure to eat the skin; it’s high in antioxidants.
- Grapes: Red and black grapes are a great pick because they contain heart-healthy anthocyanins as well as resveratrol, another phytochemical that protects the heart and helps fight cancer.
- Oranges: One 60-calorie orange delivers 100 percent of your daily value (DV) of vitamin C, three grams of fiber and 10 percent of the DV of folate, a B vitamin that helps fight cancer and birth defects. (You’ll typically find these in orange-growing states, such as Texas, Florida and California.)
- Rapini (broccoli raab): This versatile veggie looks like broccoli and can be used in many different kinds of cuisine, including Italian and Chinese. It’s a great source of vitamins A and K, plus it provides cancer-fighting “phenolic compounds.”
- Shelling Beans: These fully matured beans in the pod have to be shelled before eating, but they take only about 15 minutes to cook. They come in many varieties, including black-eyed peas and cranberry beans, and are a good source of protein and fiber.
- Celery Root (celeriac): This knobby-looking brown vegetable that’s available from October until March contains compounds that help lower inflammation (a trigger for heart disease and other chronic conditions).
Best Life is a company devoted to helping you become your healthiest. Its popular online weight loss plan, TheBestLife.com, based on Bob Greene’s best-selling The Best Life Diet, is focused on helping individuals create their best life and encouraging them to enjoy it each and every day. Behind all of our advice is the belief that losing weight shouldn’t be about counting calories or deprivation, eating nutritiously shouldn’t require sacrificing taste, and living healthfully shouldn’t be a chore. Rather, living your best life involves making smart choices that fit into your lifestyle. It’s about taking pleasure in eating foods that taste good and are good for you. Ultimately, it’s a way of living that brings more joy and satisfaction to your life.