Benefits of Nuts & Seeds
• Nuts and Seeds are the richest source of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that can help slow the aging process and prevent many age-related diseases. A half cup of almonds provides more than twice the daily requirements of vitamin E.
• Nuts and Seeds are rich in the B vitamins.
• Most nuts and seeds are a rich source of potassium.
• A cup of almonds, Brazil nuts, pistachios, or an ounce of sesame seeds, contains as much calcium as a cup of milk.
• Almonds and pistachios, as well as flax, pumpkin, and sesame seeds, are very high in iron.
• Almonds and peanuts, for example, are especially high in folate.
• A good source of protein, especially when combined with legumes.
• Nuts and Seeds are a good source of dietary fibre. A cup of almonds, for example, provides 20g – more than any other nut. The soluble fibre in beans helps lower levels of damaging LDL cholesterol in the blood, thus lowering heart-disease risk.
So mix together some nuts, seeds and dried fruit for a nutritious trail mix and click here for an rice recipe for Rice Pilaf with almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
About the Author:Travis Rea is a personal chef who uses local, natural and sustainable foods and lives in Langley, BC. He also owns a consulting business, Feed The Fire, which helps people live healthier and counsels athletes on their nutritional needs. See more of his recipes and advice on his Facebook page.