Fall Prevention – Tips to Prevent Falls
Tips to Prevent Falls in the Home
- Get rid of extra clutter
- Have telephone cords and electrical cords tied together and out of walking areas.
- Have frequently used items stored where they can be reached easily so you don’t need to stand on chairs or other unstable items.
- Be sure carpets are attached firmly to stairs.
- Have nonslip backing on the bottoms of rugs that slip easily. Glue down vinyl flooring.
- Keep home well-lit by turning on lights as you go into your home at night.
- Always have a flashlight nearby.
- Install night lights in hallways, bathrooms, and bedrooms.
- Keep a lamp close to your bed that you can turn off and on easily without getting up.
- Have handrails on both sides of any stairs as well as light switches at each end. Have light switches at each end of halls also.
- Install grab bars in the bath, shower and toilet areas.
- Use mats or adhesive non-slip strips.
- Use a shower stool.
Tips to Prevent Falls When Outside
Join the Impowerage Facebook Page for more articles, contests and discussions.
- Make sure walkways are cleared of ice and snow and are well lit.
- Paint stairs and sidewalks with a paint and sand mixture.
- Paint edges of steps so they are easy to see.
- When walking use helping devices such as walkers or canes.
- Wear shoes that are low-heeled with non-slip soles and that fit snugly.