If you are interested in learning more about a vegetarian diet, read our vegetarian diet review.
This is a hearty, nutritious, easy-to-make soup perfect for a cold winter day. Lentils are high in protein, contain calcium and iron, and do not have a strong flavour.
Cook Time: 1 hours, 10 minutes
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup lentils, soaked, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- In a large soup pot, bring 1/3 cup water to a boil.
- Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Reduce heat to medium; add soaked lentils, tomatoes, and remaining water.
- Cover, and simmer on low-to-medium heat for one hour, or until the lentils are tender.
- Serve with chopped parsley (optional).
Nutrition per serving: 239 calories, 1.1 g fat, 62 mg sodium, 44.3 g carbohydrates, 19.1 g fibre, 15 g protein.