This recipe makes brown rice even more nutritious by adding nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are sources of vitamins, fibre and iron .
Basic Brown Rice Recipe
• 1 cup brown or Wild rice
• ¼ small onion diced
• 2 cloves garlic
• 2 cups chicken broth
• Pinch salt and pepper
- Finely chop garlic and onion.
- Rinse rice under cold water.
- In a small pot heat olive oil and add onion and garlic.
- Gently sweat until just translucent.
- Add the rice and sauté for approx 3 minutes to lightly toast and coat the grains.
- Heat broth in a separate pot and carefully add to rice.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to med low.
- Cover and simmer for approx 20-25 minutes till all the liquid is absorbed. Use a glass top lid if you can to occasionally check the progress without having to lift the lid.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes covered.
- Remove lid and fluff with a fork
Rice Pilaf Recipe
• 1 t olive oil
• 1t butter
• 1 cup cooked rice
• ½ cup Zucchini diced
• 2 T Dried Cranberries/or raisins
• 2 T Toasted sunflower seeds
• 2 T Toasted pumpkin seeds
• 2 T Toasted Almonds
- Lightly toast seeds in a skillet until golden brown and remove from heat.
- Heat a separate pan and add olive oil and butter.
- Add Zucchini and sauté till slightly softened.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix and serve.
About the Author: Travis Rea is a personal chef who uses local, natural and sustainable foods and lives in Langley, BC. He also owns a consulting business, Feed The Fire, which helps people live healthier and counsels athletes on their nutritional needs. See more of his recipes and advice on his Facebook page.