By Travis Rea
Brussels Sprouts was one of the 5 New Foods You Should Try This Fall. Now that we know the many benefits of eating Brussels sprouts, here is an easy recipe for you to try at home. I love roasting vegetables as opposed to just boiling them this imparts a beautiful caramelized flavour and colour.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Maple and Bacon Recipe
• 2 slices nitrite free bacon
• 1 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
• 1 Tablespoons Real maple syrup
• 1 Tablespoon Olive oil (optional)
• Sea Salt
• Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in halve lengthwise and discard any outer leaves that may be damaged.
- Cook bacon over medium heat. Drain on paper towels to remove the excess fat.
- Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with the bacon fat and maple syrup. Or for a healthier version you can discard the fat and toss with olive oil and maple syrup.
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper and roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until beautifully caramelized with a rich brown colour.
- Stir in the chopped bacon and roast another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
About the Author: Travis Rea is a personal chef who uses local, natural and sustainable foods and lives in Langley, BC. He also owns a consulting business, Feed The Fire, which helps people live healthier and counsels athletes on their nutritional needs. See more of his recipes and advice on his Facebook page.